Makes 8 servings
I love this pie because it’s super easy to make. Just roll the pastry out, transfer the pre-cooked filling to the pastry, and guide the edges over by holding on to the parchment paper, and you’re ready to bake.
2 teaspoons light vegetable oil (Spectrum walnut oil)
2 pounds combined Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Pippin or Honeycrisp apples, 4 large, 6 or 7 cups, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
1/2 cup dry sweetener (maple sugar or dehydrated sugar cane juice)
¼ cup raisins
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup dry sweetener (maple sugar or evaporated sugar cane juice)
1/8 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
1/4 cup light vegetable oil (walnut)
Zest and juice of half a lemon
2 to 4 tablespoons water, apple juice or cider
1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
1 teaspoon water
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add apples and sprinkle with salt. Cover to cook over medium-low heat until fruit is barely tender and holds its shape, 10 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. A lot of liquid may come out of apples. Don’t stir after this point.
3. Sprinkle sweetener over apples. Cover to cook until sweetener melts and apples are completely tender, about 5 minutes more. Allow filling to cool uncovered.
4. To prepare pastry, mix the dry ingredients—flours, sweetener and salt. Stir in the oil until lumps or beads of dough form, then add lemon zest and juice, and liquid and mix quickly until you have a soft, pliable ball. Shape dough into a smooth flattened disc. Roll in a thin circular shape between sheets of waxed paper; sprinkling flour over the bottom sheet and on top of the dough. Transfer to baking sheet. Sprinkle raisins over pastry. With a spatula, transfer cooked apple filling to the center of the pastry and out to within 2 inches of the edge. Flip the rim up over the apples.
5. Bake until pastry is golden, about 30 minutes. Brush top with glaze and return to oven for 5 minutes more.
For 8 servings, per serving:
Calories: 331 Protein: 3g Saturated: 0.8g Fiber: 4g Carbohydrate: 61g Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 0 Sodium: 76mg
Calories from Protein: 3% Calories from Fat: 23% Calories from Carbohydrate: 73%