Makes 6 servings
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup corn flour (or same volume of whole wheat pastry flour)
3/4 cup organic unbleached white pastry flour
1½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
2 tablespoons walnut oil (Spectrum brand preferred)
½ cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup plain soymilk (Edensoy Original preferred)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Makes about 2 cups
1 pound strawberries, about 3½ cups, hulled (1 pint contains ¾# berries)
½ cup brown rice syrup or 1/3 cup honey
Zest of half an orange or lemon
1½ cups strawberries, stemmed and thinly sliced in wedges
6 mint sprigs for garnish
Vanilla Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert:
1½ cups vanilla non-dairy frozen dessert
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush a shortcake pan (of muffin tins) with oil.
2. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients together and add to dry. Whisk until almost smooth. Makes 2¾ cups batter. Pour batter into pan.
3. Bake until cakes test done when pierced with a wooden toothpick, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer shortcakes to a wire rack for at least 10 minutes more. Soak pan in hot water for easy cleaning.
4. To make Strawberry Sauce, purée ingredients until smooth. If you wish a finer texture, pass through a strainer. Sauce may be refrigerated for a week.
5. To serve, spread 1/3 cup sauce on dessert plates. Place cake on top and fill indentations with a 3- or 4-tablespoon scoop of vanilla non-dairy frozen dessert. Sprinkle berries around cake on plate and garnish with mint sprigs.
Summer Berry Shortcake: For fresh fruit, include 1½ cups mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries).
For 6 servings, per serving,
Calories: 368 Protein: 6gm Saturated Fat: 0.5gm Fiber: 4gm Carbohydrates: 71gm Fat: 6gm Cholesterol: 0 Sodium: 255mg
Calories from Protein: 7% Calories from Fats: 16% Calories from Carbohydrates: 77%
Note: With 2 teaspoons baking powder, sodium content increases to 292mg.